Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Sales Mistakes

The biggest sales mistake I have made was being overbearing. I thought that I could push my way through the sale and make the person want to buy. No one wants to buy from someone who is at the door everyday. They do it out of obligation. Finding the right balance between being pushy and being too relaxed depends on the customer. I have had to learn how to be patient in the selling process and realize they are not on the same timeline as I am.

My story was simple. I was trying to get a meeting with a potential client. He was literally in my backyard and I knew that we could find a better solution. I did not know what he objections were, but knew he should at least give the product a closer look. For whatever reason he was not ready to move. He was satisfied with his carrier and not looking to change. I thought that I could push myself into the deal. I took a week form contacting him and ran into a pushy sales person. I realized how annoying it is. I thought I hope I did not come off that way. I am sure I did. I wrote a short email letting him know that if he ever had questions to let me know and that was it. I moved on.

I had to learn what makes a strong sales lead and how to walk away, even when I might be to blame.

No comments:

Post a Comment